Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Everything I Ever Needed to Know About Life, I Learned From '90s Hip Hop

I've been doing the bulk of my "long form" blogging over at ThePolitic for the past week.  I apologize for just dumping some short little posts over here.  I don't mean to neglect CG&A; it's just kind of the way it has worked out.

Anyway, this isn't a particularly in depth post either.  Mainly, I just thought I'd let y'all know about what's going on at ThePolitic.

Richard is keeping up his series on major players in Canadian politics with an interview with Rocco Rossi, the Liberal Party's cheif fundraiser.  You can read it here.

I make note of a WTO decision that awards damages to Brazil from the U.S.  It's nice to see a blow struck for unfettered trade.

However, the biggest activity revolves around a post by Sean Calder.  Sean takes up the topic of human rights, "human rights" and Human Rights Commissions.  This leads to a bit of back and forth between some readers and some contributors in the comments section.

Taking a cue from that discussion, I post a thought or two about the evolution of human rights.  It's kind of long, but here's some of the meat:
When we turn these acts of charity into ‘human rights’ that are owed to various members of society, we are robbing society not only of the acknowledgment of the gift we are giving, but of the duty we have to give it...
Naturally, you should read the whole thing.

Anyway, back to some good old fashioned CG&A content, here's some '90s hip hop:


A friend of mine threw this on a mixed tape he made for me back in school.  Here's the money line (atleast as it relates to the discussion at ThePolitic):
...F*ck the First Amendment / My speech was free the day that my soul descended.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment